Going camping is a lot of fun. In the summer it can get really hot inside a tent. The last thing anyone wants is waking up in the morning a hot sweaty mess from sleeping in a swampy hot tent. Putting a fan in your tent can help you cool off and it will help move the moisture out of your tent. If this sounds like a good idea for you then let’s have a look at the best fans for tent camping available today.
Below are our top 3 choices for the best fans for tent camping. Keep reading below for our top 5 best fan reviews, tent fan guide, and FAQ.
- The Top 5 Best Fans For Tent Camping
- Odoland Portable LED Camping Lantern with Ceiling Fan
- Geek Aire Rechargeable Outdoor Portable Battery Operated Fan
- OPOLAR Portable Travel Mini Fan with 3-13 Hours Battery Life
- Amacool Portable Battery Camping Fan with LED Lantern
- Gazeled Battery Operated Fan, Super Long Lasting Battery Operated Fans for Camping
- Fan For Tent Camping Guide
- Fan For Tent Camping FAQ
- Q: What is the best fan for camping?
- Q: How do you run a fan while camping?
- Q: How long do battery operated fans last?
- Q: Is there a fan that blows cold air?
- Q: Are there fans that run on batteries?
- Q: How do you power a fan with a battery?
- Q: Do battery powered ceiling fans exist?
- You might also like:
- Recent Camping Articles
The Top 5 Best Fans For Tent Camping
Below are our top 5 picks for the best fans for tent camping available today. We considered features, performance, price, durability, and customer reviews in our recommendations.
- Versatile light/fan: Ultra Bright 18 individual low powered LED bulbs. The fan has high and low settings to provide nice air circulation and lit up the tent nicely. You can orient in so many positions.
- Powerful fan speed and bright lifhting: High quality brushless motor for whisper operation, max wind speed 10ft/s, strong airflow and 2 setting speeds, it’s great to fresh the air and keep you cool.
- The extremely lightweight build allows you to take your lantern on the go with ease. When not in use collapse the lantern to a smaller size; store it effortlessly, taking little space.
- Light up to 37 hours of regular, continuous use with enough battery capacity. 2 D batteries can keep the fan work for 5 hrs in high speed mode, and 15 hrs in low speed mode, 20 hrs for led light (Battery is not included).
The Odoland Portable LED Camping Lantern and Ceiling Fan is a great versatile small tent fan. It has both a fan and lantern. It can function as a hanging ceiling fan or on the ground as a stand up fan.
This is one of the more compact tent fans available and at 1.2 lbs is light enough to carry with you. You can still use this fan if you aren’t able to put your tent right next to your vehicle.
The fan and LED light can point different directions. Your fan can point down at you but the light can point away so you aren’t staring straight up into the light. You can also use the LED light as a stand to set the fan on the ground.
The fan only has a high and low speed. It is strong enough to cireculate the air in a small tent. You might find it a bit weak for a large 8 person tent even on the high setting.
It uses 2 D batteries for power. Batteries are not included with the lamp. According to the documentation, you get 5 hours of fan power on high. Some users have gotten much longer run times out of it. Your results may vary. The quality of batteries you use also has an effect on run time. The cheapest dollar store batteries will not last as long as a set of Energizers.
The construction of the fan is okay but not something really rugged. The plastic construction doesn’t feel like something that will stand up to a lot of hard use. If you are someone that is harsh on your outdoor camping gear this may not be the fan for you. If your someone who rarely ever breaks things then you’ll have no problem with it.
Overall, this is a great tent camping fan if your looking for something versatile, small and easy to carry. This makes it our top pick among the best fans for tent camping.
- Size – 6.4 x 6.4 x 11.4 inches
- Weight – 1.2 lbs
- Type – hanging or standing
- Battery Type – non-rechargeable – 2 D Batteries
- Battery life – 5 hours highspeed, 15 hours low speed
|What We Liked|
|✔️ Very versatile design with a fan and LED light.|
|✔️ The fan and lights can point in different directions. The light can be used as a floor stand for the fan|
|✔️ Lightweight and compact enough to use if you have to carry your gear any distance|
|What We Didn’t Like|
|❌ Construction could be a bit more rugged|
|❌ The fan is powerful enough for a small tent but lacking for a larger tent|
- Dare to Be Different: The stable fan structure based on aerodynamic and the advanced brushless DC motor makes this rechargeable floor fan produce a quiet and strong wind.
- High Quality Battery: Our battery fan has the rechargeable built-in 7800 mAh battery which can run up to 24 hours. Be prepared for emergencies, including power outages.
- ✔ Ideal for Outdoor: The portable and waterproof design makes this rechargeable fan be suitable for outdoor use, such as BBQ, camping, fishing, outdoor sports etc.
- ✔ Suitable for Indoor: This floor fan adopts the upgraded pitched propeller blade design to provide soft and comfort breeze. Its cordless and battery design makes it fit in any room position, like table, bed or playroom.
- ✔ High Quality and Service: Sturdy metal frame and blade, durable paint surface, you can feel the high-quality.
The Greek Aire Rechargable 10 inch Outdoor Fan is a powerful small fan with good battery life. It is has rugged construction meant for outdoor use with IPX4 water resistant. You can splash this fan and get it wet without damaging it.
This fan has a lot of power. It has the best air flow of any fan in this review. The fan speed is infinitely variable with a knob on the back of the fan. You can fine tune it for just the right amount of power.
This fan only works as a standing fan. It is large at 10 inch diameter and over 7 lbs weight. It isn’t realistic to carry this as backpacking fan. This has enough power to circulate the air in the largest 8-10 person tent.
The batteries will last between 4 and 20 hours depending on power setting. It will get you through one night okay. It might get you through a second night depending on how high you set it. You can recharge it through AC power only. You can’t recharge it through a USB port so you can’t get a bunch of USB power banks to use with it. The good thing is that you can run the fan while it is charging. If you have AC power at your camping site you can run it off AC to preserve the battery.
This is a good fan for camping in a big tent. It is rugged and water resistant and ready to be abused in the outdoors. If size and weight aren’t that important but fan power is, this could be the tent camping fan for you. This makes it my choice for the best fan for tent camping.
- Size – 16.75 x 14.5 x 8.5 inches
- Weight – 7.25 lbs
- Type – Standing
- Battery Type – Rechargeable, AC charging only
- Battery life – 4 hours high, 20 hours low
|What We Liked|
|✔️ Very high powered fan with good battery duration|
|✔️ Variable fan speed control with battery indicator|
|✔️ Rugged construction with IPX4 water resistance|
|What We Didn’t Like|
|❌ High cost. This is one of the most expensive small fans available.|
|❌ Permanent batteries that can only be recharged from AC power. No USB Charging|
- POWERFUL WIND AND QUIETNESS The maximum rotating speed of the fan is 3200 rpm which is enough for personal use to keep you cool. Low and medium settings are decent and super quiet which ensure the peaceful flow of air.
- 3-13 WORKING HOURS AND ADJUSTABLE 3 SPEEDS The outdoor fan operates with 2200mAh Improved battery (type-18650) and can operate for 3-13 hours after a full charge.
- PORTABLE AND COMPACT It is trouble-free to put this small (4.1×1.6 X 5.9 inch, weight-7 ounces) and the exquisite rechargeable fan into a bag and carry it for outdoor events.
- SIDE AND INTERNAL LED LIGHT The blue internal LED lights infused in the fan make it even more advantageous and attractive to look at.
- USB POWERED FAN This fan runs on 5 volts DC, which is the USB standard. You need to plug the fan into an USB port for power like an USB outlet, computer, laptop or power bank and so on.
The OPOLAR Portable Travel Mini Fan is a cute small fan that can easily pack away in your bag or backpack. It is rechargeable using a USB port for charging. It is a standing design with no option for hanging it.
This fan comes in a few colors and has a cute appearance. It has straight forward power and speed controls built into the front. It has 2 lighting modes as well. A flashlight that projects out of the side. There is a blue light that shines through the fan blades if you want a bit of mood lighting from your fan.
This fan is designed to stand only. The base is small relative to the size of the fan. It tips over easily on uneven surfaces. It works best if you have a flat surface for it to sit on. The fan doesn’t have any swivel built into it. You can’t aim it up or down if it’s not exactly how you want it where it’s sitting.
It has a built in rechargeable battery that gives from 3 to 13 hours of power from 3 fan speeds. The battery duration is not great especially at high power. The good thing is that you can run it from the USB port using a much larger USB battery pack.
The construction feels sturdy enough for a small fan. It has a substantial base and shroud around the fan with no swivel mechanism to break. It looks like it can stand up to some light abuse.
This is a good tent camping fan if size and lightweight are the most important things for you. You may need to bring along extra USB batteries if you want use it for more than 1 night. It is one of the cheapest portable tent fans available as well. This makes it our best value pick among the best fans for tent camping available today.
- Size – 4.1×1.6 X 5.9 inches
- Weight – 0.4 lbs
- Type – Standing only
- Battery Type – Rechargeable, USB charging
- Battery life – 3 hours high, 13 hours low
|What We Liked|
|✔️ Small light design that easily fits in a bag or backpack|
|✔️ 2 LED light modes. Flashlight on the side and blue mood light from the fan|
|✔️ Can be run off of USB power to use bigger batteries|
|What We Didn’t Like|
|❌ The base isn’t stable sitting on uneven surfaces. Tips over easy on the tent floor|
|❌ Short battery life|
- Born for camping: this upgraded portable fan combines tent fan, camping light and aroma diffuser, circulate air evenly, lights up your tent or campsite in darkness and drives away mosquitoes by adding repellents on the foam pads
- VERSATILE PLACEMENT: This camping fan has a built-in hook to hang it on the tents, branches or inside a car. It can be mounted on wall as well as simply placed on desk at home or in office.
- Powered by rechargeable 5000mAh battery, the usb fan lasts up to 40hours with fan only and 18 days with light only. It also operates via a USB cable connected car charger, power bank and etc.
- Set with 3 speeds, whisper operation and manual 360 degree rotation vertically and horizontally, ventilating air efficiently for a more comfortable space.
- PORTABLE COMPACT: The travel fan is mini sized (2.4*5.3*7.1 inches), lightweight (11.3oz), easy to take on the go and store.
The Amacool Portable Camping Fan is a small, light rechargeable fan that is great for tent use. It can function both as hanging ceiling fan and ground fan. The rechargeable battery can be charged through a USB port.
This fan can be hung from the ceiling of your tent with a folding hook built into the base. The fan itself can swivel so you can adjust how it’s aimed after hanging it up. The base of the fan works for use as a standing fan. It’s a bit small for the size of the fan and it tips over easily on rough surfaces. It works best in hanging mode. The fan has enough power to circulate the air in a small to medium sized tent. For a really large tent, it will be a bit weak.
The fan uses a USB port for charging. The fan gets 4.4 hours of run time on high power or up to 34 hours on low. Many users reported that they get as little as 10 hours of life out of the battery. 4.4 hours on high isn’t really enough to get through one night in your tent but it can help you cool off during the day. The USB port for charging lets you hook it up to a much larger USB power bank so you can run it much longer.
This fan is very compact size at 5.5 x 7 x 2.6 inches and weighs only 0.7 lbs. If you want a fan for backpacking this is one of the few very lightweight options available. It won’t take up too much space in your backpack.
The construction is okay for something you’d use outdoors. It isn’t overly rugged. It doesn’t feel like it’s going to fall apart after one use either. If weight and size are your primary concern you have to make some compromises to keep the fan light and small.
This is a good fan option for a small to medium sized tent and light enough for backpacking use. If those are your primary needs then this could be the best fan for tent camping for you.
- Size – 5.5 x 7.2 x 2.6 inches
- Weight – 0.7 lbs
- Type – Hanging or standing
- Battery Type – Rechargeable, USB charging
- Battery life – 4.4 hours high, 34 hours low
|What We Liked|
|✔️ Small lightweight design|
|✔️ Has an LED light in addition to fan|
|✔️ USB charging port so you can run it off a much larger USB power pack|
|What We Didn’t Like|
|❌ Not very stable when standing on it’s base|
|❌ Battery life is shorter than advertised. Some users got as little as 10 hours on low power|
- Battey Operated Fan for Camping This 5 inch battery fan works with 4 D-cell batteries (not included), which is ideal for camping, travel, power outages and emergency needs. There are 3 settings and the fan can last for 214 hours with low speed, 46 hours with medium speed, and 14 hours with high speed!
- Quiet Desk Fan with Timer This small but powerful desk fan is very quiet owing to our newly designed motor which lowers the noise to 50dB. It’s perfect for sleeping and working when you need a silent environment. This portable fan has a unique timer feature which can be set to 1, 3 or 5 hours. No need to wake up to turn off this quiet fan.
- Rotation and Portability The 180° rotation design lets you take the fresh air directly to your face and get cool instantly. With the comvenient handle, it is easy to carry around. Great for travel, camping and other outdoor activities use.
- Battery Powered USB Fan Except powered by D batteries, this fan can be a USB desk fan. It comes with a USB cable that can be used when connected to a power bank, car charger, computer, or a 5V wall USB charger. Note: it is also compatible with carbon D battery, alkaline D battery or rechargeable NiMH battery.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed We also offer one year warranty for this small portable fan. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us through Amazon. We will provide free replacements or a full refund.
The Gazeled Battery Operated Fan is a small fan with a variety of options for powering it. It runs with regular D-Cell batteries but can also be powered from USB port. It is a standing fan only with no option for hanging it.
This fan uses 4 D-cell batteries for power which are not included. It can use regular alkaline D-Cells are rechargable D-Cells. The fan can also be powered by a USB port when you don’t want to use batteries. Defective USB ports that don’t fit a standard USB plug is a common problem that many people had with this fan.
The fan is fairly quiet when running so you should have no trouble sleeping near it. It isn’t that powerful for something that is powered by 4 D-Cell batteries. It should have a little more oomph for having that much battery power behind it. It does have the longest run time at 13 hours on high. Most users were able to get at least that. With D-cell batteries, your run time may vary due to the quality of batteries you use.
This fan has no option for hanging it. It sits on it’s base and has a swivel so you can aim it up or down. The base is big enough to be stable on most surfaces. The weight of the 4 D-Cell batteries also helps keep it stable.
This makes a good fan if you want something quiet with very long run times. It weighs a bit with 4 D batteries so you probably don’t want to carry it a long distance. For tent camping from a car or truck this wouldn’t be a problem.
- Size – 10.2 x 7.6 x 3.4 inches
- Weight – 1.1 lbs
- Type – Standing
- Battery Type – Non-Rechareable, 4 D Batteries (alkaline or nimh rechargeable), USB power
- Battery life – 14 hours high, 214 hours low
|What We Liked|
|✔️ It can be powered by D-Cell batteries or by a USB power cable|
|✔️ Very long battery life|
|✔️ Quiet motor and fan|
|What We Didn’t Like|
|❌ Fan isn’t very powerful|
|❌ Some fans had defective USB ports that don’t fit standard USB plugs|
Fan For Tent Camping Guide
There are several things to consider when your trying to find the best fan to put in your tent. How will you power the fan? Do you want a hanging or standing fan. Do you need to carry it with you in a backpack or are you camping right next to your vehicle. Let’s take a look at all these questions and more below.
How do you plan on powering your fan? There are rechargeable tent fans and plug in tent fans if you happen to be near an outlet at your campsite.
- Plug in – These fans are powered by a standard AC outlet. This only works for tent camping if your campsite happens to have an AC outlet you can use. Many campgrounds have these so it’s not always that hard to find. If you want a big powerful fan for a very large tent, AC power is the only way to go.
- USB – USB outlets are a standard 5 volt input. If your fan can be powered through a USB port, there are many options you can use. You can power it through an AC adapter. You can use a USB battery pack that can give you a much bigger battery than any rechargeable fan will come with.
- Battery powered – Some fans are powered by regular non-rechargeable batteries with no built in battery pack. This is good because you can put in new batteries at any time and your good to go without waiting for a recharge. It’s bad because you have to keep buying batteries to power the fan. In most cases, you can use rechargeable cells in place of regular alkaline cells.
- Rechargeable battery powered – These fans have a built in rechargeable battery. These batteries can’t be replaced by a fresh battery when they run out of charge. The only option when you need more fan run time is to recharge the batteries. In some cases, you can run the fan while it is recharging.
Size & weight
If you are backpacking a small light weight fan is very important. No one wants to carry an 8 lb fan in their backpack for any distance. The downside is that a light weight fan will have smaller batteries and motor so it won’t be as powerful. If you are tent camping in a small 1 or 2 person tent, a tiny fan may be plenty of power for you.
If your tent camping in a 8 to 10 person giant tent then you want a large fan. You won’t be backpacking with a tent that big so chances are it’s going up right next to your car or truck. In that case a big heavy powerful fan is the best option.
You need enough power to circulate the air in your tent. A smaller tent needs a much less powerful fan then a large tent. A large tent shoved into a small tent may make the tent uncomfortably cold not to mention the noise from the fan. Choose a fan that is appropriate for the size tent you will be camping in.
Some portable fans have much more rugged construction than others. The Greek Aire fans have very sturdy construction and ipx4 water resistance. Most small fans have lightweight plastic construction with no water resistance. If you are the type that is hard on your camping gear you may want to look for something that is built to handle abuse. If you are not hard on your equipment and never break anything you can get by with almost any small fan.
To learn more about IPX4 water resistance and what IP values mean go here.
Hanging vs Standing fans
Hanging fans will work like a ceiling fan in your tent. They will keep circulating the air in your entire tent which helps move moisture away and out of your tent.
A standing fan needs to be directed to blow across you while your sitting or sleeping in the tent. You may need more power with a standing fan to circulate the air across an entire tent.
Many standing fans have small bases that aren’t stable on uneven surfaces. The floor in your tent is only as flat as the ground underneath. Keep in mind when choosing a fan where it’s going to sit and is it stable enough to sit there. If your fan falls over in the middle of the night it won’t do any good and you will wake up hot and wet.
Lights and other features
Many small fans also have built in lights. This can be handy if your ceiling fan can also light up your tent. You don’t need to hang 2 things if your fan serves double duty. Some rechargeable fans can use their batteries to charge other devices like your phone. You will kill the battery quick and won’t be able to use it as a fan but if your phone is dead you can recharge it in an emergency.
Fan For Tent Camping FAQ
Q: What is the best fan for camping?
For a small tent, a small hanging fan such as the Odoland fan is perfect. For a large tent, a powerful fan such as the Greek Aire fan is your best choice.
Q: How do you run a fan while camping?
You can either run the fan on battery power or an AC outlet if your campsite has one. You can get battery powered fans that can run from 4 hours to 200 hours on their rechargeable battery. Some fans run on regular alkaline batteries so you don’t have to worry about recharging. Just replace the batteries. If you run out you can pick up more nearby in most places.
Q: How long do battery operated fans last?
Most small tent camping fans can run for 3 to 5 hours on high setting. They can run anywhere from 10 to 200 hours on low setting. Most have 15 to 20 hours of battery life on low power. If you choose a fan with enough power, you should get enough air flow on medium or low setting to keep you cool all night.
Q: Is there a fan that blows cold air?
There are some fans that can cool the air as they blow it around. These fans need a water reservoir to cool the air and they are more expensive than conventional fans. Most need an AC power source to run. If you want some tent air conditioning they may be a good idea.
- SWAMP COOLER – This powerful fan and evaporative cooler offers two ways to cool your personal space
- FEATURES – With 3 fan speeds, 3 cooling modes and an automatic timer, this air humidifier has is all
- ECO-FRIENDLY – Instead of freon and other chemicals, get climate control that uses clean evaporation
- QUALITY – This portable air conditioner is made with quality materials, to keep you comfy all day
- NEWAIR – With good quality products and excellent customer service, NewAir is a name you can trust
- Wattage: 80 watts
Q: Are there fans that run on batteries?
There are hundreds of small fans available that run on batteries. There are versions that use rechargeable batteries. There are fans that run off of regular batteries. Many of these have USB ports or other options for running off of AC power too.
Q: How do you power a fan with a battery?
If you need to run a fan that only has an AC power plug off a battery pack, you need to get an inverter. The inverter can be attached to the positive and negative terminals of your 12 volt car battery. After hooking up the inverter you can plug your fan into the inverter and it will run off your car battery.
Q: Do battery powered ceiling fans exist?
There are many small fans that can be hung up in your tent and function like small ceiling fans. The Odoland portable fan is one of the best small tent ceiling fans available.
You might also like:
- The Best Camping Cookware For Open Fires Helpful Guide
- The Best Wood Burning Camp Stoves Helpful Guide
About the author
My name is Doug Ryan. I am an adventure sports fan and an avid skier, sailor, mountain biker who also enjoys paddle boarding, kayaking, wakeboarding, waterskiing, and travel. I take any chance I can get to get out in the snow or water. I actively run an adventure sports meetup where I get asked many questions. I decided to start this Gear Craver as a way to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for adventure sports their gear.